Saturday 5 December 2009

World Cup Draw

FIFA did everything they could to hype up the draw, and for once I agree with them. THIS IS THE WORLD CUP. Nothing on Earth unites people like the World Cup. NOTHING. 3 Billion people are estimated to have watched the last one. No language, no religion, nothing comes close to unifying people like the World Cup.

As for the draw itself, well some of us have to work so there was no tense viewing for me. I looked afterward and received my barrage of information, my eyes and my mind going crazy like a kid who got and Xbox 360, PS3, Scalectrix, AND a new ball for Christmas...where do you start?




I'll give a quick rundown and throw in a few predictions.

Group A

I think that South Africa will go through, swept up in the biggest moment of the players careers, I think it is a draw that suits them. I think France will top the group, if they decide to get their fingers out of their arses and stop being so... erm...French. Mexico will be waiting to pounce should France slip up.  I believe Uruguay are weak, although they will be confident after winning the play off.


Group B

My adopted team NIGERIA (the wifey is a Naija girl) to go through with Diego's Argentina. Greece and Korean Republic to pack their bags early.





Group C

En-gur-land (sorry lads) to top this group with my other adopted team USA to take second. I think that the US could get a draw from the first game. England are coming in with all the pressure and the first game is often difficult to adjust to. I think this is the best chance the US have. Should England pump the US, then US moral could be shot for good and Slovenia may be the biggest benefactors of this (and English Landlords)


Group D

Aptly named D. D for DEATH (dun dun dun) There is always one group that from the outset looks harder than quantum physics with a wine hangover, while taking jabs from Manny Pacquiao.  I'm going for Germany and Serbia to go through. But it will be tighter than a tight thing.


Group E

Holland and Cameroon. Holland to win the group and then I like Cameroon's chances just because I Samuel Eto'o is not Nicklas Bendtner


Group F

Italy may not need to try very hard to get out of this group. The other teams are poor with Slovakia taking runner up.


Group G

Another intriguing group. Brazil to win it, but not as easily as some think. I think if Ronaldo is in top form, not fannying about then Portugal have the chance of doing very well. Ivory Coast will be many people's dark horses. They have a wealth of talent with players playing all over Europe and when it boils down to who wants it most between Portugal and Ivory Coast? I'm taking Drogba and Co.


Group H

Spain at a canter, and then for runner up Chile, although I really really want Honduras to  get it, for the simple reason that my mother adopted them in 1978 and has never stopped talking about them!

Me watching a game on TV

"Ma who do you want to win?"

"Honduras"

"Ma it's the fecking Scottish Cup!!"





So those are my initial thoughts on the World Cup, ONLY 187 days to go. I am buzzing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude,u wrong about group D.before i continue,i'm going to make it clear that i am Ghanaian and i'm being very objective about this matter...lol.i sincerely think Ghana and Germany will come out of this group.whoever watched the last world cup and the just ended african cup of nations will attest to the fact that that young ghanaian team is full of promise and potential.we got to the final with a team of an average age of 22.that is pretty remarkable.we proved we have the tenacity to turn adversity into success by coming from an abysmal defeat to ivory coast and beating angola the host in the quarters and nigeria in the semis.when we welcome back our more celebrated stars like essien,muntari,paintsil and john mensah to add some class and poise to our young team,the sky will be the limit.i am going to bet on the ghana-germany match because i strongly belive we will beat them convincingly.

Macca said...

Kwaku, cheers for the comment. As I stated it is the group of DEATH. Realistically any of the teams could go through. I chose the Germans, because of their fantastic record in tournaments.

It really was a toss up after that, but I think Serbia may just edge it because of the depth of their squad. yes, Ghana have a talented team, but when it comes to quality of squad, then I think Serbia just shade it.

It will definitely be an interesting group.

Related Posts with Thumbnails